Re: [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} a question regarding the usage of -gotra versus -sagotra

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:01:33 UTC 2017

Just a point to ponder:

All other Gotra names with -sa added are three syllable words and
vis'vamitra is a four syllable word. -sa added to vis'vAmitra makes it five
syllables. Probably in comparison to all other four syllable - - - +sa
words vis'vAmitra + sa might sound longer and the reason for avoiding =sa
only in that word could be looking for shorter word length.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:19 PM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM, Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> I was surprised to see that in the lists of gotras circulated on the web,
>> in many cases, the "sa" of "X-sagotra" has been attached to the name of the
>> gotra itself, i.e. "Xsa".  One can see several examples in the list below:
>>

> Even I have come across 'Harithsa, Angirasa' in common usage and no 'sa'
> suffix to other gotras.
>
> subrahmanian.v
>

>> http://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Brahmin_gotra_system
>>
>> This list includes "Ātreyasa", for instance, as a gotra-name.  The only
>> way I can think how this came about is a misanalysis of "Ātreya-sagotra" as
>> "Ātreyasa-gotra."  I have not checked the names listed in texts like the
>> Gotra-pravara-mañjarī to see if this phenomenon has affected the lists in
>> Sanskrit texts as well.
>>
>> Madhav Deshpande
>> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>>      I am forwarding a question from a friend of mine, for which I do
>>> not have a clear answer:
>>>
>>> Quote:
>>>
>>> Dear Madhav,
>>>
>>> I thought you might have a quick answer to this question. When
>>> mentioning gotras, one sees "Visvāmitra gotra", but also "Ātreyasa gotra",
>>> and "Kāsyapasa gotra".
>>>
>>> Since the ṛṣis in the two latter cases are Atri and Kasyapa, it would
>>> appear that the corresponding gotras should be "Ātreya" and "Kāsyapa",
>>> without the "sa" suffix. (Indeed, one also sees "Ātreya gotra", and
>>> "Kāsyapa gotra".)
>>>
>>> Is it the case that the correct terms are "Ātreya sagotra", and "Kāsyapa
>>> sagotra", and the conventional usage is simply an incorrect parsing?
>>> However, this would require "Visvāmitra sagotra", which one does not see.
>>>
>>> Or is there something more to it than that?
>>>
>>> Unquote
>>>
>>> Why would someone be referred to as Viśvāmitra-gotra, but others as
>>> Ātreya-sagotra or Kāśyapa-sagotra?  I will appreciate a clarification.
>>>
>>> Madhav Deshpande
>>> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --