[INDOLOGY] Buddhist murals Sri Lanka Vessantara-Jataka

Fumi Yao yao.mjug.ma.brgyad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 15:35:40 UTC 2017

Dear Heiner,

I think none of the three stories of Viśvantara in the Mūlasarvāstivāda
Vinaya ("the Viśvantara-Jātaka I--III" in Panglung 1981 "Preliminary
remarks on the uddānas in the vinaya of the Mūlasarvāstivādin," p.229) and
the Viśvantarāvadāna in the Gilgit manuscripts ("the Viśvantara-Jātaka IV,"
ibid.) gives aśvaveśa. They do not mention Śakra's help in this part of the
story, either.

Viś I (Tibetan, Chinese, and newly identified Skt fragments): Viśvantara
gives both the coach and horses to a Brahmin and goes to the forest on foot.

Viś II (Tibetan and Skt fragments): After he gave the coach to some
Brahmins, Viśvantara rides his horse. Later, he gives the horse to another
group of Brahmins and proceeds on foot.

Viś III (Tibetan, Chinese, and Gilgit manuscript): same as Viś I.

Viś IV (Gilgit manuscript): same as Viś I.

I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,
Fumi

Fumi Yao