[INDOLOGY] Buddhist murals Sri Lanka Vessantara-Jataka

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 13:41:50 UTC 2017

Dear listmembers,
there is one episode in the Vessantara-Jātaka which describes the
following plot:

...After Vessantara gave away the two horses of his coach, Sakka advised
four junior gods
to pull Vessantara's coach. They appeared in the guise of a red deer....

Some murals which depict this plot show four horses instead of the red deer.
As the only textual source I found one edition of the Butsarana with
aśvaveśa (for mṛgaveśa).
All Pali and further Sinhala sources read mṛgaveśa.

I suppose there is a northern tradition which records aśvaveśa (Gilgit,
Tibetan or Chinese).

Anyone came across this version and is willing to share this with me?

Thank you in advance

Heiner

Rolf Heinrich Koch
https://rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com/