[INDOLOGY] Kshut(a)

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 16:01:55 UTC 2017

I have been trying, so far without success, to understand the etymology
of /kṣut/ or /kṣuta/ in the sense of 'bad, evil', used (in both
variants) in some Sanskrit astrological texts. (I am fairly certain it's
nothing to do with either sneezing or mustard!)

Searching for क्षुत, I found that Google Translate identifies it as a
Hindi word meaning 'awkward', which seems promising; but GT is by no
means infallible, and I haven't yet been able to locate the word in a
Hindi dictionary. Could any Hindi-wallahs out there either confirm or
deny its existence -- perhaps even throw light on its etymology?

Thanks in advance,
Martin Gansten