[INDOLOGY] Kshut(a)

Bill Mak bill.m.mak at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 16:42:10 UTC 2017

In the Vṛddhayavanajātaka, kṣut/kṣuta has five occurrences. Two are found in Ch.67 on miśrikādhyāyaḥ (miscellaneous omens) which I translated recently.

67.12ab vāmāṅgakampo gṛhabhaṅgakārī kṣutaḥ svapakṣād bhayam ātanoti/
67.12cd yuddhaṃ narāṇāṃ prakaroti yuddhaṃ rutaṃ rutenaiva samanvitaṃ ca//

"The trembling of the left limbs would cause the house to break. Sneezing would cause fear resulted from one’s allies. Quarrels and cries [of animals] accompanied [by nothing but] just cries would cause quarrels among men.”

67.25ab chardi jvaro veṣṭajanasya nāśaṃ yāne vidhatte sukhasaukhyahānim/
67.25cd aniṣṭalābhaḥ prakaroty ariṣṭaṃ gosaṃkṣutaṃ prāṇaharaṃ hi yātuḥ//

"Vomiting or fever (chardi[s]+jvaraḥ) would bring about the loss (nāśaṃ < nāso) of a loved one and the destruction of happiness and good fortune during the expedition. Getting an evil omen (aniṣṭalābhaḥ) would result in untimely death (ariṣtaṃ < aniṣṭam). Sneezing of cows [would result in] the death of the traveler."

The edition is not entirely satisfactory, nor is my translation. The kṣutaḥ in 67.12 does however seem to suggest a bodily action, hence, sneezing. I am now not so certain about the gosaṃkṣutaṃ in 67.25 now that you raised some doubts concerning the etymology of kṣut. But maybe cows do sneeze after all!

Best regards,

Bill Mak

--
Bill M. Mak

Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Japan
〒606-8501 京都市左京区吉田本町
京都大学人文科学研究所

Tel:+81-75-753-6961
Fax:+81-75-753-6903

copies of my publications may be found at:
http://www.billmak.com <http://www.billmak.com/>
http://kyoto-u.academia.edu/BillMak