[INDOLOGY] Gita 13.6

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 02:17:31 UTC 2017

Dear HR-ji,

noun not adjective.

Yes, that is what I was about to point out.

In 13.6, it is a part of categories into which the "knowable field" as
opposed to the "field - knower"  is  divided.

महाभूतान्यहन्कारो बुद्धिरव्यक्तमेव च ।
इन्द्रियाणि दशैकन् च प~न्च चेन्द्रियगोचराः ॥ 13\-6॥

Similar is its use in 8-18, 8-20

अव्यक्ताद् व्यक्तयः सर्वाः प्रभवन्त्यहरागमे ।

रात्र्यागमे प्रलीयन्ते तत्रैवाव्यक्तसन्घके ॥ 8\-18॥

परस्तस्मात्तु भावो अन्यो अव्यक्तो अव्यक्तात्सनातनः ।

यः स सर्वेषु भूतेषु नश्यत्सु न विनश्यति ॥ 8\-20॥

The words element and dimension used by you are very apt.

Interestingly it is both a dimension and element.

Just for analogy, space and time in contemporary Physics are both
dimensions and components. (Post Einstein, they are components of a
continuum.)

mahābhūtāni, indriyagoocarāh are part of the vyakta component. ahankārah,
buddhih, indriyāṇi are parts of neither parts of the vyakta nor of the
avykta.

This vyakta, avyakta division has its foundations right from the rigvedic
expressions such as

pādōsya viśvābhūtāni tripādasyāmr̥tam divi.

vēdāhamētam puruśam mahāntam ādityavarṇam tamasah parastāt.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 6:38 AM, HR via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Thank you. Actually, avyakta is often used as a straightforward adjective,
> as in Bg 2.25. My interest here is when avyakta is used as a noun, as in Bg
> 12.1, or even more to the point, 8.18,20.
>
> Howard
>
> On Aug 22, 2017, at 4:52 AM, alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.
> com> wrote:
>
> Scholar,
>                  The best way to comprehend Avykta or "The unmanifested"is
> available in Gita itself.2.26(or may be 27,)says- A
> chheddyam,Adahhyam,Akleddya,Ashoshya eba cha ,Nitya Sarvagata Sthanu
> Chalayam ,Sanatana
> ........Avyaktayam,Achintyam,Avikaryam ucchyate.The concept of Avyakta in
> our Philosophy is dimensionless,although it
> is the sole EXISTENCE. The fact that it is dimensionless, can be accessed
> from this Upanishadic qoute- Ananu,Asthulam,Arhasham,A
> ..dirgham....etc.," Avyaktam' is the Sumnum Bonum of our Vedanta
> Philosophy.
>                      Alakendu Ds
>

> Sent from RediffmailNG on Android

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )