Re: [INDOLOGY] paṅgu / paṅku [2nd sending]

Elliot Stern emstern1948 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:09:01 UTC 2017

Thank you, Professor Karashima, for documenting that Jacobi’s text had a corrected printing. This seems unusual, especially if your copy is not officially a second printing or the like.

In any case, we agree that paṅka ‘mud’ and its Apabhraṃśa form paṃku are not the subject of my inquiry. I am only interested in any evidences (especially in devanāgarī and other north Indian script mss) of a reading paṅku (paṃku)  Sanskrit paṅgu ‘lame’.

I attach jpegs of details showing the nyāyakaṇikā manuscript readings I mentioned in the original message in this thread. The original manuscript is in the Nepal National Archives. I have no images of juṣadhvaṅkaraṇī or svaditaṅkaraṇī.

Best wishes,

Elliot Stern