[INDOLOGY] Female name Bhaayi?

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 23 07:17:39 UTC 2017

Hello Martin,

Given the tremendous diversity of vernacular names in India,
I am not sure that one can ever say a name "doesn't exist"!

I suppose that Bhāyī, which I have never seen either, might have been a vernacular version of
Bhāginī,for what it's worth.

best,

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago