[INDOLOGY] Teun Goudriaan and Max Sparreboom

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:02:04 UTC 2016

Very sad to read about the passing away of Teun Goudriaan (on 28 august
2016) and Max Sparreboom (on 30 august 2016).

Bio-bibliographical details on Teun Goudriaan can be found at:
http://dutchstudies-satsea.nl/auteur/69/Teun-Goudriaan.html

on Max Sparreboom:
http://dutchstudies-satsea.nl/auteur/206/MarcusMax-Sparreboom.html

The overview on Teun Goudriaan adds some publications not mentioned by Asko
Parpola, whereas the latter's references contain valuable information not
mentioned in the online overview.

Teun Goudriaan was not only an excellent scholar to whom we owe several
monumental contributions to indology, he was also an excellent teacher at
Utrecht University having the rare skill not only to give the correct
construction of a difficult sentence and explain it in masterly fashion: he
had also a remarkable skill to understand empathically why the student
occasionally arrived at another, seemingly correct but ultimately untenable
solution. I still must have somewhere my course notes of his courses on the
Bhagavata Purana.
Although this was much before my time, he was also known to have been an
excellent student of Prof. Jan Gonda in the late 1950s - early 1960s.
According to anecdote, his notes of Prof. Gonda's courses, showing a
profound grasp and exceptionally rich in detail, aquired a fame on their
own and circulated among fellow students under the name "Gondriaan".

Belated condolences to Teun Goudriaan's and Max Sparreboom's family and
friends.

Jan Houben