[INDOLOGY] Teun Goudriaan and Max Sparreboom

asko.parpola at helsinki.fi asko.parpola at helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 1 11:00:57 UTC 2016

I was really sad to hear about the passing of Teun Goudriaan and Max
Sparreboom, who were my friends for decades, Teun Goudriaan since the
1960s. While I have nothing to add to Herman Tieken's list of
publications by Max Sparreboom, there is quite a lot to cover Teun's
indological publications. As my farewell I list the following.  With
regards, Asko Parpola

Goudriaan, Teunis, 1965. Kāśyapa's Book of wisdom. (Disputationes
Rheno-Traiectinae, 10.) The Hague: Mouton & Co. 341 pp. (Ph.D. thesis,
Utrecht 1965.) This is an annotated translation of an important
Vaikhānasa text.

Goudriaan, Teunis, 1970. Vaikhânasa daily worship. Indo-Iranian
Journal 12: 161-215.

Goudriaan, T., and C. Hooykaas, 1971. Stuti and stava (Bauddha, Śaiva
and Vaiṣṇava) of Balinese Brahman priests. (Verhandelingen der
Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam,
Afdeling Letterkunde, N.R. 76) Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing
Company. 609 pp., 8 ill.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1973. Tumburu and his sisters. WZKSA 17: 49-95.

Goudriaan, T., 1973. Deities of the tree-cutting ceremony in
Vaikhānasa Āgama. The Adyar Library Bulletin 37: 75-86.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1977. Khaḍga-Rāvaṇa and his worship in Balinese and
Indian Tantric sources. WZKSA 21: 143-169.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1978. Māyā divine and human: A study of magic and its
religious foundations in Sanskrit texts, with particular attention to
a fragment on Viṣṇu's Māyā preserved in Bali. Delhi: Motilal
Banarsidass. xiv, 516 pp.

Goudriaan, Teun, and Sanjukta Gupta, 1981. Hindu Tantric and Śākta
literature. (A history of Indian literature, ed. Jan Gonda, 2:2.)
Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1985. The Vīṇāśikhatantra: A Śaiva Tantra of the left
current. Edited with an introduction and a translation. Delhi: Motilal
Banarsidass. viii, 162 pp.

Goudriaan, T., and J.A. Schoterman, 1988. The Kubjikāmatatantra,
Kulālikāmnāya version: Critical edition. (Orientalia Rheno-Traiectina,
30.) Leiden: E.J. Brill. xii, 571 pp.

Goudriaan, T. (ed.), 1990. The Sanskrit tradition and tantrism.
(Panels of the VIIth International Sanskrit Conference, Vol. 1.)
Leiden: E.J. Brill. vii, 121 pp.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1990. The Ātman as charioteer: Treatment of a Vedic
allegory in the Kulālikāmnāya. Pp. 43-55 in: T. Goudriaan (ed.), The
Sanskrit tradition and tantrism. (Panels of the VIIth International
Sanskrit Conference, Vol. 1.) Leiden: E.J. Brill.

Goudriaan, Teun (ed.), 1992. (Ed.) Ritual and speculation in early
Tantrism: Studies in honor of André Padoux. (SUNY series in Tantric
studies.) Albany: State University of New York Press. xv, 359 p.,
ill., index. Reprinted, (Sri Garib Dass Oriental Series, 163), Delhi:
Sri Satguru Publications, 1993. CONTENTS:
Goudriaan, Teun, 1992. Preface. Pp. vii-xi. Goudriaan, Teun, 1992.
Publications by André Padoux. Pp. xii-xv. Brunner, Hélène, 1992. Jñāna
and kriyā: Relation between theory and practice in the Śaivāgamas. Pp.
1-59. Bühnemann, Gudrun, 1992. On puraścaraṇa: Kulārṇavatantra,
chapter 15. Pp. 61-106. Davis, Richard H., 1992. Becoming a Śiva, and
acting as one, in Śaiva worship. Pp. 107-119. Dviveda, Vrajavallabha,
1992. "Having become a god, he should sacrifice to the gods." Pp.
121-138. Goudriaan, Teun, 1992. The stages of awakening in the
Svacchanda-Tantra. Pp. 139-173. Gupta, Sanjukta, 1992. Yoga and
antaryāga in Pāñcarātra. Pp. 175-208. Hara, Minoru, 1992. Pāśupata
studies (1). Pp. 209-226. Muller-Ortega, Paul E., 1992. Tantric
meditation: Vocalic beginnings. Pp. 227-245. Rastogi, Navjivan, 1992.
The Yogic disciplines in the monistic |aiva* Tantric* traditions of
Kashmir: Threefold, fourfold, and six-limbed. Pp. 247-280. Sanderson,
Alexis, 1992. The doctrine of the Mālinīvijayottaratantra. Pp.
281-312. Schoterman, Jan A., 1992. The Kubjikā Upaniṣad and its
Atharvavedic character. Pp. 313-326.  Torella, Raffaele, 1992. The
pratyabhijñā and the logical-epistemological school of Buddhism. Pp.
327-345. Index of Sanskrit terms. Pp. 347-351. Index of names and
subjects. Pp. 352-359.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1992. Preface. Pp. vii-xi in the above work.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1992. Publications by André Padoux. Pp. xii-xv in the
above work.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1992. The stages of awakening in the
Svacchanda-Tantra. Pp. 139-173 in the above work.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1992. The pluriform ātman. Wiener Zeitschrift für die
Kunde Südasiens 36.

Goudriaan, Teun, 1993. Obituary: Jan Gonda (14/4/1905 - 28/7/1991).
Newsletter of the International Association of Sanskrit Studies 4:
18-20. Stockholm & Torino: CESMEO.

Goudriaan, Teun, and Jan A. Schoterman, 1994. The Kubjikā Upaniṣad,
edited with a translation, introduction, notes and appendices.
(Groningen Oriental Studies, 10.) Groningen: Egbert Forsten. viii, 180
pp.

Goudriaan, Teun, 2002. Imagery of the self from Veda to Tantra. Pp.
171-192 in: Katherine Anne Harper and Robert L. Brown (eds.), The
roots of Tantra. (SUNY Series in Tantric Studies.) Albany: State