[INDOLOGY] Double sandhi

Kevin M. Ryan kevinryan at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 13 01:03:44 UTC 2016

It's not exactly "double sandhi" in the sense of re-applying sandhi to
the same sequence twice, but there are also bracketing paradoxes in
sandhi triplets which might be relevant to this issue. I'm referring to
the situation when one must deal with three underlying vowels in a row
(V1+V2+V3). Apparently, it's normal to combine the first two vowels
first (V1+V2 -> V') and then add in the third vowel (V'+V3 -> V").
Interestingly, this order of operations occurs even when V2+V3 is
clearly the tighter constituent on all other grounds (syntax and sense),
and should by all other rights be combined first. For example, this
situation is found with ā́ ihi = éhi "come hither" several times in the
RV, starting with 1.9.1:

a. índréhi ... (from /índra ā́ ihi/, instead of *índráihi)

Lanman (1877, "A statistical account of noun-inflection in the Veda")
speaks of one such case across pādas:

"The combination is interesting as showing how entirely preposterous and
artificial is the sandhi hetween two pâdas." Viz.

9.97.38ab
Restored:
a. sá punāná úpa sū́re ná dhā́tā
b. óbhé aprā ródasī ví ṣá āvaḥ

Padapāṭha:
saḥ | punānaḥ | upa | sūre | na | dhātā | ā | ubhe iti | aprāḥ | rodasī
iti | vi | saḥ | āvar ity āvaḥ

Aufrecht:
sá punāná úpa sū́re ná dhā́tóbhé aprā ródasī ví ṣá āvaḥ