[INDOLOGY] Double sandhi

Buchta, David david_buchta at brown.edu
Mon Sep 12 20:20:10 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

One such passage that comes to mind is Bhagavadgītā 11.44: priyāyārhasi

You can look at Oberlies, *A Grammar of Epic Sanskrit, *which has a whole
section on this phenomenon (pp. 34-49).

Pāṇini's separation of the tripādī is important in formulating his rules to
avoid double sandhi, so you may also want to look into that side of things
(although I can't point you to specific scholarship off  the top of my
head).

A typical commentarial response is to claim 'ārṣa' usage. Baladeva
Vidyābhūṣaṇa, for example, writes on BhG 11.44: priyāyārhasīti visargalopaḥ
sandhiścārṣaḥ.

Best,
David

--