[INDOLOGY] Double sandhi

Robert Goldman rpg at berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 12 20:42:43 UTC 2016

Dear Martin and David,

One reason this phenomenon is called ārṣa is that it is quite common in the epic texts (the texts of the ṛṣi-s) such as, e.g. your Gītā passage.  There are, for example some nine examples in the critical edition (and apparatus) of the Uttarakāṇḍa of the Vālmīkirāmāyaṇa.

Best,

Bob
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor in South and Southeast Asian Studies
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409