[INDOLOGY] yamas and niyamas

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Sat Nov 26 00:09:18 UTC 2016

MEA CULPA:

Thanks to Steve Farmer for pointing out to me that the edition I was
relying on of the Haṭha-Yoga-Pradīpikā, Pancham Singh's edition originally
published in 1914, conflates Brahmānanda's "Jyotsnā" commentary with the
original text. The list of the 10 yamas and 10 niyamas comes from the
commentary, not from the HYP itself.

Here's a better edition that clearly separates text and commentary (see p.
14 of this edition for Brahmānanda's list of yamas and niyamas):
https://archive.org/details/hathayogapradipika

My confusion was, in a way, an illustration of the larger point of my
previous email: there were various commonly cited lists of 10 yamas and 10
niyamas floating around in the first and second millennia CE. Some of them
include compassion as one of the 10 yamas. Yoga practitioners (and
professors!) tend to get these lists and texts mixed up.

Andrew

Andrew J. Nicholson
Associate Professor
Graduate Studies Director
Asian & Asian American Studies
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5343
(631) 632-4030
http://philosophicalrasika.com/
<http://sbsuny.academia.edu/AndrewNicholson>

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Andrew Nicholson <
andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu> wrote:

> Dear Patrick,
>
> If you are looking for compassion (karuṇā) in Patañjali, you will find it
> at YS 1.33, as you probably know. It is a value espoused by Patañjali, just
> not as a yama.
>
> Many theistic yoga texts post-Patañjali (i.e., of the Pañcarātras and
> Pāśupatas) list 10 yamas and 10 niyamas, not five. Some of these include
> compassion (kṛpā or dayā) as one of their 10 yamas. But I don’t know how
> far back these traditions of 10 go before Patañjali.
>
> For most modern yogis, the most influential late medieval yoga text is
> Svātmarāma's Haṭha-Yoga-Pradīpikā, which lists 10 yamas and 10 niyamas (see
> 1.18-19). One of the 10 yamas is compassion (dayā). Nowadays yoga
> practitioners often conflate Pātañjala and Haṭha Yoga traditions--could
> this be a source of your respondent's ideas?
>
> Best wishes,
> Andrew
>
> Andrew J. Nicholson
> Associate Professor
> Graduate Studies Director
> Asian & Asian American Studies
> Stony Brook University
> Stony Brook, NY 11794-5343
> (631) 632-4030
> http://philosophicalrasika.com/
> <http://sbsuny.academia.edu/AndrewNicholson>

>>> Arthasastra." Annals of Sri Venkatesvara Oriental Institute, Vol. 1, part