[INDOLOGY] yamas and niyamas

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Fri Nov 25 22:15:21 UTC 2016

Dear Patrick,

If you are looking for compassion (karuṇā) in Patañjali, you will find it
at YS 1.33, as you probably know. It is a value espoused by Patañjali, just
not as a yama.

Many theistic yoga texts post-Patañjali (i.e., of the Pañcarātras and
Pāśupatas) list 10 yamas and 10 niyamas, not five. Some of these include
compassion (kṛpā or dayā) as one of their 10 yamas. But I don’t know how
far back these traditions of 10 go before Patañjali.

For most modern yogis, the most influential late medieval yoga text is
Svātmarāma's Haṭha-Yoga-Pradīpikā, which lists 10 yamas and 10 niyamas (see
1.18-19). One of the 10 yamas is compassion (dayā). Nowadays yoga
practitioners often conflate Pātañjala and Haṭha Yoga traditions--could
this be a source of your respondent's ideas?

Best wishes,
Andrew

Andrew J. Nicholson
Associate Professor