[INDOLOGY] Query re: guru-ziSya and paramparA

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 18:20:54 UTC 2016

Dear Toke,

> I think what they indicate is the succession of teacher and pupil in a
Vedic intellectual tradition, passing on knowledge and practice

The Wikipedia page that your correspondent mentions clearly states that the
culture/tradition is not limited to the Vedic tradition but pervades many
other Indian areas /fields/ cultures/ traditions of learning.

The word āchārya is found in the Vedas.

The extremely popular śānti mantra saha nā vavatu etc. is the joint wish of
the guru and śiṣya.

"asmadāchārya paryantām vandē guruparamparām" is the last part of the usual
formulaic prayer found in the beginnings of Vedanta discourses like those
of the Advaitins.

In upadēśa- based mantra japa traditions, praying to the guruparamparā is
the ordained part of a japa-session.

Nowadays, the word guruśiṣyaparamparā is being used to contrast with the
mutual 'legal-rational' relationship between teachers and students in the
'modern' educational institutes without the memory of a long lineage/order
of Guru -śiṣya- praśiṣya and so on and an emotional bondage of
every śiṣya with the immediate Guru in particular and the entire lineage
/order in general which is found in the  guruśiṣyaparamparā type system.

This order has the name gharānā in hindustānī music  and each gharānā also
refers to particular 'style' of singing.

One interesting guru(śiṣya)paramparā that finds mention in many spiritual
traditions is that of nātha sampradāya /nātha paramparā.

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )