[INDOLOGY] Query re: guru-ziSya and paramparA

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 13:47:17 UTC 2016

AN ANALYSIS OF THE CHANGE PROCESS IN THE GURU-DISCIPLE RELATIONSHIP.
(VOLUMES I AND II) by GLICK, STEPHEN Ph.D., Temple University, 1983, 582
pages; AAT 8311643)

I found this from the archives of the Indology list.
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/2013-January/037493.html

There could be many many more.

I remember a conference announcement on the Indologist itself, on the
concept of Guru.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Toke Knudsen <Toke.Knudsen at oneonta.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I received the below question via email. I don't have a handy
> reference—can anyone help?
>
> Best,
> Toke
>
> =====
>
> I had a query about the correct usage of the term(s) "guru–shishya" and
> "parampara". I think what they indicate is the succession of teacher and
> pupil in a Vedic intellectual tradition, passing on knowledge and practice.
> But my only "reference" for this is a vague memory plus, um, wikipedia (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru%E2%80%93shishya_tradition), and I'd
> rather not refer to those, ah, sources. What is the correct translation /
> explanation, and do you know a good citation or two I can have?

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )