Re: [INDOLOGY] Vālmīki’s first śloka

Witzel, Michael witzel at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Nov 19 23:30:39 UTC 2016

Dear Harry and All,

the observations about vai (and ha)  are part of a larger paper on the Epics:

MW, The Vedas and the Epics: Some Comparative Notes on Persons, Lineages, Geography, and Grammar.  In: P. Koskikallio (ed.) Epics, Khilas, and Puranas. Continuities and Ruptures. Proceedings of the Third Dubrovnik International Conference on the Sanskrit Epics and Puranas. September 2002.  Zagreb: Croatian Academy of Sciences  and  the Arts  2005: 21-80

See § 4. for a near-final version, attached.

Cheers !

MW