Re: [INDOLOGY] Vālmīki’s first śloka

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:03:19 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

I've just done a search of the RgVeda, Atharva Veda, Brhadaranyaka-Upanisad
and Ramayana book 1 for the particle "ha"  and this agrees with what
Michael Witzel said about the occurance of "vai" in Ramayana 1 showing that
Ramayana book 1 language is Late Epic.

In the RgVeda and Atharva veda and the Brhad-Aranyaka the particle "ha"
occurs in sentence slot 2 location the majority of times and never at paada
final .

In Ramayana book 1 the particle "ha" occurs 47 times.  46 of these are at
paada end and only 1 in the middle of a sentence.  It occurs at paada end
6 times  before (the verse David is asking about (1.2.14) and very closely
after at 1.2.20

Thanks,
Harry