[INDOLOGY] 'Vedic' astrology

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Tue Nov 15 20:36:49 UTC 2016

Just to clarify (since I was the one to mention the recent origins of
the term as used today): what is new, and to the best of my knowledge
began in North America, is the use of 'Vedic astrology' to describe the
Indian version of horoscopic astrology, or horāśāstra. I may be wrong,
of course, but I have never seen any publication by an Indian
practitioner prior to the 1990s referring to his (or, occasionally, her)
art using that phrase, whereas today it is rampant.

Martin