[INDOLOGY] Lexicographic order / sentence boundaries

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Thu Nov 3 09:37:20 UTC 2016

I think the answer is simple. Monier's dictionary is basically a
translation of Boehtlingk's PW, as Dr Dimitrov has pointed out only
recently. One of the consequences thereof is that Monier has also adopted
Boehtlingk's order of meanings, which generally depict the chronological
sequence and related textual categories of his sources. In the present
case, evidence for the first meaning of aṭṭa ("watch-tower") was found by
him in the Rāmāyaṇa, the second in Hemacandra's Abhidhānacintāmaṇi. A close
perusal of Boehtlingk's prefaces to his own dictionaries (PW & pw) and the
principles he followed will possibly clarify also the matter as far as
Monier-Williams' plagiarism is concerned. He might however have left an
information about the way he structured the order of meanings in his
preface.

Kind regards,
WS

Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje