[INDOLOGY] Lexicographic order / sentence boundaries

hellwig7 at gmx.de hellwig7 at gmx.de
Thu Nov 3 08:31:51 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

1) I am trying to find out by which lexicographic principles Monier-Williams and Cappeller ordered the **meanings** of each word in their dictionaries.
For instance, MW gives the following first definitions for the lemma aTTa: "a watch-tower; a market, a market-place (...); N. of a Yaksha, ..." – My question is: Why "a watch-tower; a market..." and not "a market; a watch-tower ..."? Tried to find an explanation in his preface, but was not able to detect it. Does anybody have a citation for this ordering?

2) A while back, I asked for your collaboration in annotating sentence boundaries in a few fragments of Sanskrit texts. Thanks to those who took the time for going through the sentences!
You find the merged results here:
http://www.sanskrit-linguistics.org/tmp/annotations.html
Seems to be more complicated than expected!

Best, Oliver

---
Oliver Hellwig, SFB 991, University of Düsseldorf