[INDOLOGY] M-W Sanskrit-English Dictionary Co-Authors

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Sun May 1 09:08:47 UTC 2016

Unlike Monier-Williams, who has plundered the wealth of Boehtlingk’s (&
Roth’s) PW without proper acknowledgment of the materials on which he had
based his structural rearrangement in the English language, the latter *do
acknowledge all* of their sources and frequently quote them verbatim *in
extenso* – whence it is called „Großes (big) PW“ [1853–75]: more quotes,
less entries compared to „Kleines (little) pw“ [1879–89]: little or no
verbatim quotes, but considerably more entries.

Using pw along with Richard Schmidt’s Supplement („Nachträge“) [1928] and
Apte's Dictionary (which is truly independent) will yield a maximum of
reliable results.

In the present case the sources of PW/pw were classical Sanskrit
lexicographers, in one case the comparatively late Śabdakalpadruma.

> Are all or some of these 7 words in  Sabdakalpadruma and the Vacaspatyam?

The question can best be answered by consulting PW directly (sources
highlighted in red colour):

kṣaudraja – (kṣaudra *Honig* + ja)  n.  *Wachs*  Râǵan. im Çkdr. (PW)

kṣaudrajā – f. Honigzucker Rājan. 14,133. (pw)

nihiṃsana – (von hiṁs mit ni)  n.  *das Morden*  Ak. 2, 8, 2, 81. (PW [+pw])

nītighoṣa – (nī° + ghoṣa)  m.  N. des Wagens des Bṛhaspati  Trik. 2, 8, 48.
(PW [+pw])

nīcabhojya – (nīca + bho°)  m.  *Zwiebel (die Nahrung gemeiner Leute*)
Çabdaḱ. im Çkdr. (PW [+pw])

> rohaṇadruma were in MW but not PW or pw

This is wrong, for it is indeed recorded in PW/pw:

rohaṇadruma – m.  *Sandelbaum*  H. 641. Halâj. 2, 389. (PW [+pw])

> aṁsemūla

This again is inaccurate, first, because the correct entry in MW is
aṃsamūla (not aṃsamūle), and second, because pw has registered it as a
matter of fact (n. Schulterhöhe Rājan.)

I suggest to study first of all the introductions to the works of
Boehtlingk & Roth to form oneself an idea of what exact methods in Sanskrit
lexicography they had employed and who actually had contributed to their
Herculean task.

Regards,
WS

-----------------------------
Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1
D-99425 Weimar
Deutschland

Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.