[INDOLOGY] A tool to fiddle with Ashtadhyayi

Malhar Arvind Kulkarni malhar at iitb.ac.in
Wed Mar 16 12:07:09 UTC 2016

Dear Sir,

I tried to use your system and have one clarification to seek.

With your drop down options I selected वि and अनुरुध्
and लँट् and asked the system to generate the forms. First I
wanted to see the correct form being generated. Then I wanted to check the
"tool by which a student can visualize what effect would occur if a
particular sUtra didn't exist in Panini's grammar." So I did not mention
the sutra which the system should consider non-existent in Panini's
grammar.

When I clicked with the input mentioned above and was going through the
steps of derivation, I found some steps (quoted below) which generate a
different  form than one would otherwise expect. I mean 8.2.39 does not
get applied where your system applies it.

"1 - वि+अनुरुध्+य+ते
By jhalāṃ jaśo'nte (8.2.39) :
झलां जशोऽन्ते (८.२.३९) :
1 - वि+अनुरुद्+य+ते
Final forms are :
आखिरी रूप हैं :
1 - वि अनुरुद्य ते "

I request you to check why this happens and please let me know.

with regards.
Malhar Kulkarni.