[INDOLOGY] A font for accented Vedic

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 13 17:35:05 UTC 2016

If anyone is interested, here is a dropbox link to my Mac keyboard layout for Indic signs in roman unicode. It uses forward-slash (/) as a dead key. Two presses of / gives /. It’s pretty transparent and quite easy to use. /a -> ā, /A -> Ā, /s -> ś, /r  -> ṛ, /h -> ḥ, etc. Less obvious are  /z  -> ñ, /w -> ṣ. For Tamil, /k  ->  ḻ, /y  ->  ṟ. It’s easy to figure this out — it works for caps also, though there are no Vedic accents.  It enables extremely fast typing, no use of option or other awkward keys. I’ve been using it for many years (also in its previous incarnation with the TimesIndian font, which goes back to the ’80’s). Only downside — it’s impossible to install in iOS, unfortunately, though Muthu Nedumaran once sent me an app that works in iOS (it never made it to the app store and doesn't work anymore). Anyone who wants to use Tamil, Devanagari, Telugu etc. script on iOS should check out his Indic Notes, which allows one to type Roman for the various writing systems (कुटुम्बम् = kuTumqbamq — unfortunately this is somewhat different than the Mac Devanagari QWERTY, which is ku(option)tumfamf, but it’s more usable, I think). George

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d7th7m9d9l2i36/NewIndianRomanUnicode.keylayout?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d7th7m9d9l2i36/NewIndianRomanUnicode.keylayout?dl=0>