Re: [INDOLOGY] Example(s) of ‘ṣr/ष्र्’

Kevin M. Ryan kevinryan at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:38:54 UTC 2016

Hello Madhav,

Thank you for this clarification; of course you're right, and for that
reason, ajuṣran is surely the best "textbook" example. At any rate, I
took the question to be about attested forms, regardless of etymological
correctness.

"Genuine," as you've demonstrated as much as anyone, can be problematic.
Natural languages and orally transmitted texts evolve. If these
instances of e.g. pariṣritaḥ are of modern provenance, then we can
dismiss them, but if they're not (all I can say, at least, is that they
don't seem to be mere typos), things become more interesting: ṣr and śr
are not ligatures that are normally confused, but in the Mādhyaṃdina ŚB,
we have both pariṣritaḥ and pariśritaḥ attested in interspersed loci
across the text (albeit the latter about ten times as frequently). E.g.
10.4.3[13] tadyā́ḥ pariṣrítaḥ. If this is some phonologically motivated
variation, such as a misapplication of RUKI, such non-standard
attestations have linguistic value, as they do in texts like the RV,
which is of course replete with such variants. In this case, I don't
know the first thing about it, but it looks interesting.

Best,
Kevin