Re: [INDOLOGY] Example(s) of ‘ṣr/ष्र्’

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 10 15:03:37 UTC 2016

Hello Kevin,

     Of the instances of "ṣr" that you have collected from GRETIL, the
Ṛgvedic instance of ajuṣran is the only one that appears to be a genuine
instance, while the other occurrences appear to be orthographic variants
for an original "śr,"  rather than being genuine occurrences of "ṣr".  In
any case, it is good to know that there is at least one genuine occurrence
of "ṣr" in the form ajuṣran.

Madhav Deshpande

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Kevin M. Ryan <kevinryan at fas.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Nityanand,
>
> Here are a few items I found in the GRETIL corpus:
>
> ajuṣran (RV 1.71.1c)
> pariṣritaḥ (3x), pariṣrayati (1x), miṣram (Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa)
> zuṣrūṣamāṇānām (Bhāgavata Purāṇa 1.1.13)
>
> It could also in principle be found across a word boundary, when a word is
> left to stand with final ṣ (e.g. jyotiṣ rajas, Nirukta).
>
> Best,
> Kevin
>

> On 3/10/16 5:07 AM, Nityanand Misra wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> In Ulrich Stiehl’s list of 807 conjuncts attested in Sanskrit, the
>> two-consonant conjunct ‘ṣr’ (ष्र्) is listed as the 786th entry (third
>> from left in last line of page 4 of the PDF under
>> http://www.sanskritweb.net/sansdocs/mathe.pdf
>> <
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sanskritweb.net_sansdocs_mathe.pdf&d=CwMFaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=NqkhTuN1wmPpoGV7HfN9h9sjzhrforkotCX8AEc5N5k&m=I2YYnpny_JHcilQBv0xpTkUgPu2gNjPwORPDYANfhnY&s=HkqxA0_r_eDluRij4xM7zMHZVLLHzba0JOX-99c58Ac&e=
>> >).
>>
>> I have been unable to trace any word in which this conjunct would occur
>> in Sanskrit.
>>
>> Prefix and infix expression search on Advanced search on Monier
>> Williams, Vācaspatyam, and Śabdakalpadrumaḥ yielded no result (except
>> for क्ष्रौम् in M-W which has the three-syllable conjunct kṣr)
>>
>> Does anybody know of an example of a word or verse/sentence in which the
>> usage of this conjunct is attested?
>>
>> Thanks, Nityanand

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA