[INDOLOGY] Against the petition against Prof. Pollock

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 05:32:08 UTC 2016

Dear Prof. Williams,

There is no anti-sedition ‘law’ in the Indian constitution. Rather, there
is a ‘section’ (Section 124A) in the ‘Indian Penal Code’ (IPC). The IPC is
different from the Constitution of India. The Concurrent List (List III in
the seventh schedule) in the Constitution of India specifies that the
matters included in the Indian Penal Code and the Code of Criminal
Procedure are part of the Criminal law and Criminal procedure, respectively.

You are correct in saying that the section 124A of the IPC does not cover
hate speech. But there are other sections which do cover hate speech,
specifically sections 153A, 153B, and 295A of the IPC. Therefore, India
does not need any new laws on hate speech.

You may please refer the following links:
Section 153A: http://indiankanoon.org/doc/345634/
Section 153B: http://indiankanoon.org/doc/771276/
Section 295A: http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1803184/
You may also refer the Wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_India

These sections have existed for a long time and neither half of the BJP
(including current PM) nor half of RSS are in jail. Nobody has prevented
the opponents of RSS and BJP (and there are many in India) to invoke these
sections against RSS and BJP members including the current Prime Minister.
We have to keep in mind the principal of criminal jurisprudence which
applies in India: an accused is to be considered innocent until proven
guilty. Mere accusations or opinions are not sufficient.

Regarding the point that for Afzal Guru there was “no evidence that [he]
belonged to [sic] any terrorist group [sic] or organization,” (the exact
words were “there is no evidence that he is a member of a terrorist gang or
a terrorist organization”), this has to be read in the context of the court
ruling. The text of the full judgement is here:
http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1769219/

What the Supreme Court of India said was that Guru could not be convicted
under Section 3(5) of POTA (which is here:
http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1157621/) as there was no evidence outside the
confessional statement that Guru was a member of a terrorist gang or a
terrorist organization. But the Supreme Court of India did find him guilty
under other sections of the IPC including section 120B (criminal
conspiracy, read here: http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1897847/) and section
302 (murder, read here: http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1560742/).

Here is the relevant portion from the judgement
The conviction under Section 3(2) of POTA is set aside. The conviction
under Section 3(5) of POTA is also set aside because there is no evidence
that he is a member of a terrorist gang or a terrorist organization, once
the confessional statement is excluded. Incidentally, we may mention that
even going by confessional statement, it is doubtful whether the membership
of a terrorist gang or organization is established.
We shall then consider whether the conviction of Afzal under Section 120B
read with Section 302 IPC is justified. The High Court upheld the
conviction and gave death sentence to the two appellants under this
Section. We are of the view that the conviction and sentence on this count
is in accordance with law.
Unquote

Unless somebody knows the facts of the case and Indian law better than the
Supreme Court of India, there is no reason to consider their opinion above
the final judgement of the Supreme Court of India.

With kind regards, Nityanand