[INDOLOGY] Against the petition against Prof. Pollock

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 3 17:54:59 UTC 2016

Dear Friends, The following article provides a useful contextualization of
current events in India:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/03/india-students-jnu-protest-narendra-modi-bjp/

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Tyler Williams <tylerwwilliams at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To spare everyone an extended polemic, I will simply say for the moment
> that the 'anti-sedition' law of the Indian constitution is adopted directly
> from colonial law.  It *does not* address 'hate speech', i.e. the
> incitement of individuals or groups to commit violence against the
> country's citizens.  (This would indeed be a good thing, and if there were
> such a law, then half of the BJP and RSS, including the current Prime
> Minister Narendra Modi, would be in jail!)
>
> However, the anti-sedition law is vaguely worded and targeted against
> 'anti-national' activities, i.e. inciting action against the 'nation',
> whatever that may be construed as.  (This was used against freedom fighters
> during the anti-colonial struggle.)  The judgement in Singhal vs. Union of
> India has only made the language more vague.  The current government is
> using the statute in a novel way, using it to ban a variety of speech and
> other freedoms (like assembly) that are typically protected under law.
> Interpreted openly, it could be (and is being used to) prohibit forms of
> 'symbolic' violence or 'destabilization', like publishing maps of Kashmir
> not okayed by the Indian government, to chant the names of those executed
> by the Indian state, etc.
>
> A law prohibiting hate speech would be most welcome-- then citizens could
> then address the inciting rhetoric of many politicians and 'activists'
> against women, Dalits, religious minorities, and the LGBT community (see
> Martha Nussbaum's upcoming book on just this subject).
>
> And, for what its worth, half of those alleged 'slogans' quoted in the
> judge's report have recently been found to have been invented, manipulated,
> or incited by members of the right-wing AVBP at the event, or by political
> and media persons after the event.  They reflect Malhotra's and other's
> misrepresentation of Pollock and non-Indian scholar's comments in an effort
> to whip up existential fears and identity politics for narrow political
> gains.
>
> Perhaps others can weigh in.  In any case, I am not comfortable with this
> one JNU student being asked to pay for the supposed intellectual 'disease'
> of the students of his university, just as I am not comfortable with the
> idea that a man like Afzal Guru, though "no evidence that [he] belonged to
> any terrorist group or organization", should be executed for the purpose of
> "satisfying the collective conscience." (The words are taken from the
> court's execution order itself.)
>
> Best,
> TWW
>

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 5:02 AM, Nityanand Misra <nmisra at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> Apropos Prof. Tyler Williams' first point, the judgement mentions on page
>> 6 that there were thirty slogans quoted in pages 3 to 5 of the status
>> report filed by the State. I do not have the status report, but Justice
> [...]

Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific
Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
461 Spalding