[INDOLOGY] ISO transliteration standard for devanagari (Harry Spier)

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 18:40:32 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 1:51 PM, C.A. Formigatti <caf57 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
. . .

> . I would use the ISO-15919 transliteration system only when I edit a
> text. Preparing a diplomatic transliteration of a manuscript is something
> different,

Harry Spier wrote:
To my mind the problem is that if you can't use a transliteration standard
to prepare a diplomatic transliteration then there is something wrong with
that transliteration standard.  Surely thats the purpose of a
transliteration standard. Note that the  rule for normalizing anusvaras to
class nasals is a "required rule" and not a recommendation or option.  As
you pointed out the normalization of nasals is bad practice for editing
manuscripts.  The normalization of nasals  was pointed out as a problem in
editing manuscripts about 20 years ago on this list:
see
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1996-February/004161.html
But by making the normalization of nasals a required practice for sanskrit
the standard is saying this is good practice.

Thanks,
Harry Spier