[INDOLOGY] Mind and moon

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 08:35:39 UTC 2016

Thanks, Valerie, for the Varahamihira quote. It shows an extension of the microcosm idea to
the planets, keeping the mind-moon pair (but not the eye-sun one). The mind-moon pair is
one of the most stable of these pairings, as well as the least explicable.

Verbal similarities can be very profound, especially in the Brahmanas. But in this case I'm not
sure there is much verbal similarity: in RV 10.90.13 the words are manas and candramas (in
Brhadaranyaka Up. 3.2.13 it's manas and candra, which is even less similar). It's not a
similarity of the same order as indra-indha (Satapatha Br 6.1.1.2; Brh Up 4.2.2). That made
me wonder whether Renou, in invoking word-play as an explanation, was misled by his
knowledge of the Indo-European cognates of Skt mas and manas.

With best wishes,

Dermot