[INDOLOGY] Two etymologies

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:59:31 UTC 2016

This meaning ‘live in distress’ suits the character well, because it is his
distress resulting from the curse of paushya ( to be childless) and his
distress of his guru asking him why he took such a long time to return and
the resulting frustration of him leading to the sarpayaaga.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Paolo Magnone <paolo.magnone at unicatt.it>
wrote:

> Dear Arthur & list,
>
> I would rather connect the name Uttaṅka to root TAṄK ‘live in distress’,
> whence * taṅka* “a miserable life” and “grief produced from separation
> from a beloved object” (MW, Apte), which seems to suit very well his
> character and epic vicissitudes: he lives a miserable life as a lingering *brahmacārin,
> *and grieves for the loss of precious objects – the earrings (= talismans
> of youth?), the ambrosia in different (versions of ) myths belonging to his
> corpus.
>
> You may wish to have a look at my paper “Uttaṅka’s Quest’’ (available here
> <https://www.academia.edu/10239803/Utta%E1%B9%85ka_s_Quest>) offering a
> comprehensive interpretation of the Uttaṅka corpus as related to the
> universal mythical theme of the quest for immortality.
>
> Paolo Magnone
> Sanskrit Language and Literature
> Catholic University of the Sacred Heart - Milan
> History of Religions - Hinduism & Buddhism
> Theological Faculty of Northern Italy - Milan
>
> Jambudvipa  - Indology and Sanskrit Studies (www.jambudvipa.net)
> Academia.edu: http://unicatt.academia.edu/PaoloMagnone
>

> On 07/07/2016 19:40, Artur Karp wrote:
>

> Complete page:

>> > wild speculation
>>
>> Yes, quite wild, if I may say so.
>>
>> Takṣaka as 'builder' (Polish 'budowniczy', Czech 'stavitel'),
>> 'construction foreman' sounds reasonable, quite convincing.
>>
>> Now, Uttanka? One who 'ruins', 'lays waste' (Turner 5628, tañc –
>> ‘contract, coagulate’)?
>>
>> See this Mbh episode (Kumbakonam 1906 Ed.), where Uttanka, while trying
>> to enter Taksaka's underground home, violently destroys its entrance.
>>
>> Artur Karp

> [image: Logo] *Università Cattolica* *investe nel talento, nella ricerca,
> nella solidarietà.*
> Puoi farlo anche tu. *CF 02133120150* www.unicatt.it/5permille

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.