[INDOLOGY] Death's Footprint

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:46:04 UTC 2016

 Dear Jarrod, Dipak, and all,

In 1995 I published [in IIJ 38, pp.1-30] a paper entitled "The Pursuit of
Hidden Tracks in Vedic."  In it I discuss RV 10.18.2 briefly.
Unfortunately I do not have a pdf of this.  Buy I can quote what I said
there:

"Similarly metonymic is the expressive magic used in an apotropaic practice
attested in a funeral hymn, RV 10.18.  In st..2 the relatives of the
deceased are required to "erase the footprints of death" [I leave out all
Skt text to save time], as they leave the funeral pyre to return to
everyday life.  The hope is expressed in st. 3 that death will thereby not
follow them as they return home, to dancing and laughter....  {T]hese
relatives are afraid that the deceased's spirit will not be satisfied with
his leave-taking, that he will trouble his family unless he is adequately
appeased, that death may thus pursue the living.  Among other
precautions... the ritual of erasing the footprints is a means pf
preventing death's pursuit....

What interested me back then about the term pada is its wide semantic
range.  This also attracted Renou's attention in his 1958 monograph *Etudes
sur le vocabulaire du Rgveda*.  To give a sense of what I was thinking
then, I wrote a version of it for *Semiotica: Journal of the Intl.
Association for Semiotic Studies.*  The ediitor-in-chief at the time was
Thomas Sebeok, whose work I was introduced to b Frits Staal.  The title of
that paper was ""From 'footstep' to 'word' in Sanskrit."

In both papers I suggested that the Vedic rsis, absorbed as they were in
their riddling, esoteric brahmodyas, were highly sensitive to signs of all
sorts [not just footprints but also words] and to the inferences that we
draw from them.   In both papers I conclude that not only were the Vedic
rsis sophisticated proto-linguists [as Frits has argued], but that they
also had a science which I called "Vedic semiotics."

Well, I was more exuberant then than I am now.

Maybe this is of some interest to you all.

Best wishes,

George