[INDOLOGY] aja as ajaya?

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 06:59:27 UTC 2016

Just a random idea:
perhaps chu skyes is based on *abja.
Also, at least in some lists (but I admit this is a very problematic
"possibility") jaya is a name for the sun...
Thanks for your interesting questions!

(May I just add here that since my student days I've appreciated the
materials you've made available from a place I had never before heard of,
Talent Oregon? Until it got water damaged by a warehouse that was anything
but 'state of the art' [despite their claim...] I had a lovely reprint, in
library binding, of an old publication on the Madhyāntavibhāga and several
other things from you, for which I take the opportunity to publicly thank
you :)

Jonathan

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 4:33 AM, David and Nancy Reigle <dnreigle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Getting the names of the kings of Śambhala correct is very important for
> the Jonang order of Tibetan Buddhism, which has specialized in the
> Kālacakra/Śambhala teachings. So the Jonangpa lama Khentrul Rinpoche asked
> me if I could check with other Sanskritists to confirm that the name *aja*
> cannot mean “inconquerable” or “unconquered” in accordance with the rules
> of Sanskrit grammar. Since the many learned Sanskritists on this list have
> not responded with a way to derive this meaning in the three days since the
> question was posted, I take this as confirmed. This is a difficult problem,
> because a thousand years ago two different Indian Sanskrit pandits, working
> with two different Tibetan translators, apparently did take *aja* in this
> meaning. Unlike with the name *harivikrama*, we cannot trace how the
> error with *aja* arose (if it is an error).
>

> The case of *harivikrama* is comparatively simple. This name occurs with
> another name in this anuṣṭubh pāda: śrīpalo harivikramaḥ. Sanskrit verses
> had to be translated into Tibetan verses with a fixed number of syllables,
> seven for a pāda in the śloka or anuṣṭubh meter. So the eight syllables of
> this anuṣṭubh pāda were translated into these seven Tibetan syllables: dpal
> skyong seng ge rnam par gnon. Because the number of Tibetan syllables was
> limited by the meter, the syllables giving necessary grammatical
> information were omitted, leaving no way to know where the names divide. At
> some point, annotations were added, dividing this pāda into three names
> rather than two. So the Tibetan tradition got two kings, *hari* and
> *vikrama*, for one, *harivikrama*. All eight Sanskrit manuscripts that I
> used 31 years ago have *harivikramaḥ* (not *harir vikramaḥ*), as do the
> two that have become available to me since then. These ten include six old
> palm-leaf manuscripts, two of which had been used in Tibet, as seen by the
> Tibetan handwriting on their opening leaves.
>

> The case of *aja* is more complex. Even though the pāda of the śloka that
> *ajaḥ* occurs in lacks a syllable, samudravijayo 'jaḥ, all ten Sanskrit
> manuscripts have *ajaḥ*, not *ajayaḥ*. This name occurs again in prose in
> the *Vimalaprabhā* commentary on 1.27, three times, so the form *aja* is
> there confirmed. Yet the canonical Tibetan translation by the Indian pandit
> Somanātha and the Tibetan translator 'Bro Shes rab grags, revised by
> Shong ston, has *rgyal dka'*. Similarly, the Tibetan translation by the
> Indian pandit Samantaśrī and the Tibetan translator Rwa Chos rab has *ma
> pham pa*, as reported by Bu ston in his annotated edition of the
> *Vimalaprabhā*. Both mean “unconquerable” or “unconquered.” Here we do
> not have an error that is traceable to the transmission process, as we do
> with *harivikrama*, but rather a discrepancy in the translation itself.
>

> In the last few years two other old Tibetan translations of the
> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html