[INDOLOGY] Mind and moon

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 10:39:05 UTC 2016

Thank you for your contribution to this question.

I don't think the connections given in Yaska's Nirukta and elsewhere represent historical
derivations so much as ways in which words can be given additional meaning by associating
them with other words. Thus indau ramate or indave dravati tell us something about the
character of Indra, but not about the historical origin of his name. candra is historically
connected with candate "shines", but not with  cam "drink".

Rembert Lutjeharms has kindly sent me a pdf of Jan Gonda's article "Mind and moon." In: G.
Bhattacharya (ed.), Deyadharma studies in memory of D.C. Sircar, Delhi, 1986, pp. 147-160.
Gonda doesn't offer a definitive solution, but he suggests a connection with the moon as the
way to the world of the dead, which is interesting.

With best wishes,

Dermot