[INDOLOGY] Sources of two verses

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed May 20 20:47:57 UTC 2015

Hello Martin,

These two verses are from the Ślokavārttika of Kumārila.  The
verse jñātārthaṃ jñātasambandhaṃ is no. 17 and the verse sarvasyaiva hi
śāstrasya is no. 12 in the very beginning of the Ślokavārttika.

Madhav Deshpande

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Martin Gansten <martin.gansten at pbhome.se>
wrote:

> I'd be grateful for any help with identifying these two verses, relating
> to the concepts of sambandha and prayojana, quoted by Balabhadra in the
> early 17th century:
>
> jñātārthaṃ jñātasambandhaṃ śrotuṃ śrotā pravartate |
> granthādau tena vaktavyaḥ sambandhaḥ saprayojanaḥ ||
>
> sarvasyaiva hi śāstrasya karmaṇo vāpi kasyacit |
> yāvat prayojanaṃ noktaṃ tāvat tat kena gṛhyate ||
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Martin Gansten

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA