[INDOLOGY] Sources of two verses

Dragomir Dimitrov dimitrov at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed May 20 20:51:29 UTC 2015

Dear Martin,

if I am not wrong, the first stanza is Kumārila’s Ślokavārttika 1.17 (with a
variant reading jñātārthaṃ i.o. siddhārthaṃ). Some time ago I came across
a much earlier quotation of the same stanza in the opening part of
Ratnamati's Cāndravyākaraṇapañjikā (920s–930s). The second stanza is
Ślokavārttika 1.12. I haven't located it (yet) in the extant parts of Ratna's
works, but it seems to me highly probable that this Sinhalese scholar has
quoted it too somewhere. Later scholars in Laṅkā such as Moggallāna and Śrī
Rāhula borrowed and/or translated into Pali some few stanzas from the
Ślokavārttika by using Ratna's grammatical works and without knowing that
they are dealing with stanzas written by Kumārila.

Kind regards,
D.D.

   Dr. habil. Dragomir Dimitrov
   Indologie und Tibetologie
   Philipps-Universität Marburg
   Deutschhausstr. 12
   D-35032 Marburg
   Germany

   Tel.: +49 6421 28 24640, +49 178 9190340
   E-mail: dimitrov at staff.uni-marburg.de
   http://www.uni-marburg.de/indologie