[INDOLOGY] subscript dot diacritic

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Tue May 19 18:34:41 UTC 2015

Dear Arlo,

I wouldn't assume a common origin for the diacritic dot which is used in
various Indian scripts to indicate allophonic variants (e.g. Hindi ṛ) or
non-native phonemes (Hindi k.), because adding a dot is a simple and
common method in all sorts of scripts -- not just Indic -- to indicate a
variant pronunciation for a given graph, or for other types of
disambiguation. For example:

	-in Perso-Arabic scripts used for Urdu and other Indian languages, an
(extra) dot is used to distinguish retroflex consonants from the
corresponding dentals.
	- in Hebrew (when written formally with vocalization and diacritics) a
dot indicates that a consonant is to be pronounced as an occlusive as
opposed to as a fricative (e.g. p• = [p] vs. p = [f])
	- in Kharosthi script a line above indicates various kinds of variant
pronunciations, e.g.  (ṣ with line above) corresponds to Skt. ṣṇ; also,
ś with line above does not indicate a variant pronunciation, but rather
disambiguates ś from y, which in some hands are otherwise more or less
identical. In any case, this short line above consonants in Kharosthi
is, I suspect, an extended form of what was originally a dot.
	- and what, after all, is anusvara -- attested right from the time of
the earliest Brahmi inscriptions? We (Sanskritists, I mean) are so used
to thinking of anusvara as a substitute or abbreviation for m or other
nasal consonants,  but originally and systemically it is nothing but a
dot which differentiates a nasalized vowel from a non-nasalized one.

So, my point is that similar usages in various Indian scripts could
easily have arisen independently. This is however hard to document since
these developments probably originated in sub-literary forms which are
hard to deal with, if they are available at all. This is why you don't
find good discussions of the matter in the standard references; no clear
data available.

Rich