[INDOLOGY] query [regarding the correct version of a defectively cited verse]

Patrick Olivelle jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sun May 17 12:23:06 UTC 2015

Dear Walter:

Thanks for the Viśvarūpa reference, which I had not yet noticed. Just a small correction — coming from the wrong numbering of Viśvarūpa’s edition by Ganapati Sastri — the verse number is actually 315. The typesetters omitted the number 309 and numbered verse 309 as 310. So in the entire edition of the first chapter, from 309 onward one has to subtract one from the numbers given in the edition!!

The commentary also reads: bhūmeś chidranyāsenā candrāt . . .

Thanks.

Patrick