[INDOLOGY] query [regarding the correct version of a defectively cited verse]

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Sun May 17 06:42:54 UTC 2015

The wording bears a resemblance to, and seems to be a modification or
extension of the well-known *bhūmicchidranyāya*, occuring also on a great
number of copper-plates especially from Northern India. At their core, the
formulas contain *ācandrārkakṣiti-*. They relate to grants and intend to
secure their everlasting duration: ~~ „as long as the sun and the moon ...
would last“.

The meaning of this Nyāya has been explained by Oskar von Hinüber (Der
*bhūmicchidranyāya*, in: Zeitschrift der Deutschen Morgenländischen
Gesellschaft, 155, 2005, S. 484-495).

In the present case, Viśvarūpa’s commentary on Yājñavalkyasmṛti 1.316 may
help, as he says: *bhūmicchidranyāyenā candrāt sthitisaṃsthānaṃ kārayet*
(cp. von Hinüber, p. 491).
So there is external evidence to support at least *sthiti* as proposed
earlier.

WS

Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1