[INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding indology at the IHRC

Veeranarayana Pandurangi veerankp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 20:18:17 UTC 2015

dear all
here it seems many high scholars are truly concerned over future of India?

I put the things steps by steps for analysing. and I submit my views. sorry
for lengthy write up.

1. Sanskrit department in Delhi wants to prove that there was no Aryan
invasion and Vedic texts date back to 8000 BC or something.

2. According to most experts there are no proofs to substantiate it as the
economic times reporter puts it

                 "But then the Sanskrit expert *(Bharadvaj) [italics mine]*
makes some troublesome claims by asserting that the set of people referred
to as Aryans by the European scholars were                   "indigenous"
Sanskrit speakers whose texts date back to 8,000 BC. The professor makes
these claims though he does not have any archaeological evidence or other
such to back                 him in terms of historicity.
*               Narrative sans Evidence*

                Bhardwaj's narrative is another instance of identifying
ancient India with a Sanskritic narrative and that too without evidence.

                   The idea becomes a bit fuzzy considering that in recent
times genetic studies have established and proved beyond doubt that there
are tribal communities in India that are 65,000                    years
old.
*              So even though he has not taken into account the evidence
provided by genetic scientists about the antiquity of tribal communities in
India,* the Sanskrit professor and                his team plan to  compare
available material on the Aryan theory in school textbooks with Sanskrit
texts. The team will also make recommendations to the education ministry
                      on correcting the distortions."
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-01-18/news/58200761_1_sanskrit-department-aryans-modern-india

3. it seems that Economic times reporter has too become an expert on
Ancient India to declare that Bharadvaj is proof-less man. For more info on
wide ranging expertise of  this reporter "KP Narayana Kumar"  see this link
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/etreporter/author-K-P-Narayana-Kumar,filterby-3.cms.
God knows how he writes like this.

4. Dilip Chakravarti is worried By this act of Bharadvaj and puts the
proposal was "racist and historically puerile" and he advises this dept. "The
Sanskrit department of Delhi University would do a much better job training
some palaeographers and epigraphists, who will soon be an extinct class of
scholars in the country, without bothering about something as racist and
historically puerile as Aryans," Chakrabarti said in an email to a query
from *The Telegraph*."

5. again many scholars are worried about "racist and historically puerile"
and start a discussion in this list.
6. one scholar (Dr.Jesse) puts it
                  "This is racist on many levels. 1. There is a cultural
chauvinism that anything good must originate in the womb of Bharata Mātā 2.
Bharadvaj wants to say that the Indus Valley
 Civilization emerged from the Vedic culture, when in fact the IVC was a
highly developed civilization, of greater antiquity than the Veda, which
did not speak an Indo-Aryan or Indo-                    European language. *To
attribute the IVC cultural achievements to the speakers of Vedic is
extremely racist and chauvinistic.**" (8.6.15)*

             "I know that IVC seals have not been deciphered, but simply
wished to point out that in all probability, *in the opinion of most
experts, they did not speak an Indo-European or
Indo-Aryan language. The only people who believe otherwise are the true
racists and chauvinists, the Hindutva morons who sadly are in a position of
                                     great power in your country today.*
* (11.6.15).*

*7. *Then the discussions turned on other issues as to whether IVC was
dravidian or something else and other matters.

8. I want to raise objections to Dr.Jesse's derogatory wordings for
Indians. Bharadvaj is merely proposing to re-examine the IVC/AIT theory
propagated by western historians. it is clear from     Telegraph report
                 *"**We are trying to prove the chronology of the Sanskrit
texts*. By doing that, if the Aryan immigration theory is destroyed, that
is an additional benefit," Bhardwaj argued.

                      He said the mainstream history textbooks say that
India's earliest civilisation came up in Harappa around 2800 BC and that
the Aryans arrived from Central Asia around 1500 BC.
                    "*We question this theory by western historians*,"
Bhardwaj said. "They claim the Vedic period dates back to between 1500 BC
and 2000 BC. *We have doubts.* If we establish the chronology of
               the Sanskrit texts, things will be clear.""

9. *is questioning anything is racial*?  I wonder why reputed scholars like
Cardona  Aklujkar and Deshpande etc in this forum are silent on this
person's declaration. न ते वृद्धा ये न प्रवदन्ति धर्मम्. This is insult to
academic freedom.

10. *is Having doubts on anything racial*?  this statement shows the level
of arrogance.

11. And Dr. Jesse advises Nagaraj Paturi "*try to discern the intent of
someone's comments, before you start using heated language, and calling
people racists and chauvinists*" while himself uses the words again all the
scholars who think otherwise.(see his sentence quoted above in the mail
8.6.15).

*What is this? What authority he has to declare all of us racists? why
supporters of free speech are silent? do they agree to the Idea of
Dr.Jesse? This is serious offence on academic differences. I ask for
apologies from Dr. Jesse. he should withdraw his statement.*

*12. Finally Dr. Jesse is directly accusing the Elected Prime Minister of
India as moron, racist and chauvanist (since Mr.Modi is in power now) *
*This is too big assault on the Whole of Indian people who have elected
Modi. This is serious blunder. that would lead to unnecessary
complications. *

13. Dilip Chakrabarti's statement in the following link needs attention
        Speaking to ET, Chakrabarti said, "David Frawley is not an
academic. Why should he be invited to deliver an academic lecture?" *"It's
a fact there is a long shadow of the Left on               history writing
in India. But we need to correct that through proper academic research*. We
cannot achieve that with the likes of Mr. Frawley."
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-03-27/news/60553899_1_ichr-y-sudershan-rao-history-wing
.

14. *what is wrong if Bhardvaj said "**that anything good must originate in
the womb of Bharata Mātā**"? *IVC was from the Undivided Bharat Mata
itself. it is clear that Bharadvaj is not saying that all the good things
elsewhere in the world originate from Bharat Mata.

15. *it seems that some people here enjoy whenever a controversial/
derogatory news on Indian academics is published anywhere in the world.
that would immediately come to discussion here. they are eager to share it
with indology.  this shows the mindset of people. it happened in the cases
of Mein kemph and Hindus by Dr. Wendy Doniger.*

16. I thank Howard Resnick for raising objections on "Racist"

17. I finally attach a paper written by Thangaraj on the genetics that
disproves the influx of  people into India.

We need to discuss and sort out problems rather than creating them.

sorry for lengthy mail and the problems it causes.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Jesse Knutson <jknutson at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> I think Dilip Chakrabarty is actually thinking about racism from a totally
> different angle. What is racist is the notion that 'aryans'--the speakers
> of Old Indo-Aryan, or what have you--originated within the subcontinent,
> and that they predate and include the Indus Valley Civilization. Bharadvaj
> clearly wants to demonstrate that the composers of the Vedas were
> indigenous, and of an antiquity greater than the Indus Valley Civilization.
> This is racist on many levels. 1. There is a cultural chauvinism that
> anything good must originate in the womb of Bharata Mātā 2. Bharadvaj wants
> to say that the Indus Valley Civilization emerged from the Vedic culture,
> when in fact the IVC was a highly developed civilization, of greater
> antiquity than the Veda, which did not speak an Indo-Aryan or Indo-European
> language. To attribute the IVC cultural achievements to the speakers of
> Vedic is extremely racist and chauvinistic.
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Simon Brodbeck <BrodbeckSP at cardiff.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>  Dear Howard,
>>

>> I think that regardless of any etymological link, we need to apply a
>> semantic distinction between the Sanskrit word arya and the English word
>> Aryan. When the former is translated, it tends to come out as “noble” or
>> something like that (e.g. in truths 1 to 4 of that ilk), rather than as
>> “Aryan”. Under the latter, the OED reads as follows (“arya” has no entry):
>>

>> *A.* adj.
>>
>>  *1.*
>>
>> a.       Applied by some to the great division or family of languages,
>> which includes Sanskrit, Zend, Persian, Greek, Latin, Celtic, Teutonic, and
>> Slavonic, with their modern representatives; also called *Indo-European*,
>> *Indo-Germanic*, and sometimes *Japhetic*; by others restricted to the
>> Asiatic portion of these. *absol.*, the original Aryan or Arian language.
>>
>> b.      *spec.* Of or pertaining to the ancient Aryan people.
>>
>> *2.* Under the Nazi régime (1933–45) applied to the inhabitants of
>> Germany of non-Jewish extraction.
>>

>> *B.* n.
>>
>> 1. A member of the Aryan family; one belonging to, or descended from, the
>> ancient people who spoke the parent Aryan language.
>>
>> *2.* *spec.* under the Nazi régime (cf. sense A. 2
>> <http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/11296?redirectedFrom=aryan#eid38293561>).
>>

>> I think Chakrabarti is probably thinking in terms of meanings A1b and B1.
>> But I can’t speak for him.
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> Simon Brodbeck
>>
>> Cardiff University

Veeranarayana N.K. Pandurangi
Director of Academics
Dean, Faculty of Vedantas
Karnakata Samskrita University,
Pampa Mahakavi Road,
Chamarajpet, Bengaluru.

अथ चेत्त्वमिमं धर्म्यं संग्रामं न करिष्यसि। ततः स्वधर्मं कीर्तिं च हित्वा
पापमवाप्स्यसि।।
तस्मादुत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिश्चयः। निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व
विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)

http://www.ksu.ac.in
http://www.ksu.ac.in/en/dr-veeranarayana-n-k-pandurangi/
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/bvparishat>