[INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding indology at the IHRC

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:17:35 UTC 2015

correction to my own correction: "1997, not 1977". very confusing, those 7s and 9s.

AG

From: arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
To: jknutson at hawaii.edu; hhhock at illinois.edu
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:12:39 +0000
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding indology at the IHRC
CC: indology at list.indology.info

Dear colleagues,

A small correction to Hans' email with useful reminder of Chakrabarti's book Colonial Indology: it was published in 1997, not 1997.

I suspect the paradox may be explained as an instance of the condescension frequently displayed by scholars who position themselves in 'social sciences', as do many archaeologists, vis-à-vis scholars of Sanskrit in one or another the philological traditions that make up 'Indology'. I have the feeling that a hierarchy of sciences, with philolologists dangling at the bottom, is perhaps even more explicitly present in India than it is among scholars in the west, and the fact that Sanskrit studies in India don't generally attract the most talented students doesn't help. I have myself been accused by another well-known Indian historian of 'not being a historian'.
     From Chakrabarti's point of view, I suppose, the horse of the "racist theory" is already dead and no beating done by Sanskrit scholars is really needed to kill it again. It's certainly no coincidence that the Indological subdisciplines that Chakrabarti seems to care about most, epigraphy and palaeography, are those with which a historical archaeologist such as himself has most affinity. Texts less easily exploitable for historical purposes, such as those of the Vedic corpus, seem to interest him less.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths
École française d'Extrême-Orient