[INDOLOGY] regarding Malhotra's plaguerism

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:36:19 UTC 2015

Dear George,

I remember discussing iti with you 30 or more years ago.  Under your
guidance I was reading Emeneau, Kuiper, Hans Hock, et al., back then,
regarding the 'genesis of a linguistic area' in South Asia.  As far as I
can remember, the discussion of the influence of the Dravidian quotative
construction on the early Indo-Aryan quotative construction was quite
clear.  In early Avestan the quotative particle uiti preceded the
quotation, whereas already in the RV iti mostly followed the quotation, as
in Dravidian.  I remember that in Hittite a quotative particle often [or
perhaps always?] preceded the quotation.  I can't remember the evidence
from Homeric Greek and I can't take the time right now to look it up.  Can
a list member tell us about this without much effort?  Perhaps Hans Hock?

In any case, many years later I have argued that iti in the RV had another,
non-quotative function.  It meant "yes" both in initial position and in
final position, as in RV 10.119.

I am happy to see that in their recently published RV translation Jamison
and Brereton have embraced my interpretation.

I hope that this is of use.

George Thompson