[INDOLOGY] Controversy over Indian Science Congress to include panel On Pushpaka Vimanas

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Mon Jan 19 14:17:23 UTC 2015

This op-ed is interesting and amusing. To join the “Society for Scientific Temper”, one had to sign a statement containing this philosophically naive clause: I believe that knowledge can be acquired only through human endeavour and not through revelation...

I guess Sir Isaac Newton, and a good number of modern Nobel laureates in science, would not have qualified for the SfST.

We should certainly keep physics and metaphysics (to use Aristotle’s terms) within their respective boundaries. But to say that knowledge can only be acquired through human endeavor is an excellent example of going from one irrational extreme to the other, i.e. from religious dogmatism to dogmatic (and self-contradictory) positivism.

Epistemological imperialism, like political or economic imperialism, tends to make a mess.

Best,
Howard