Re: [INDOLOGY] (Śābda-)Parīkṣāparvan

Elliot Stern emstern at verizon.net
Thu Dec 10 17:15:30 UTC 2015

Where Ashok says “traditionally, texts of the NS type…”,  he refers to this passage:  trividhā cāsya śāstrasya pravṛttiḥ | uddeśo lakṣaṇaṃ parīkṣā ceti | (nyāyabhāṣyam 1.1.3)

vācaspati’s comment, tadasya nirākaraṇaṃ lakṣaṇagatenālocanajñānāvarodhārthenāvyapadeśyapadena sūcitamiti
parīkṣāparvaṇi vacanārhamapi subhāṣitarucitayā tadvilambamasahamāno bhāṣyakāro lakṣaṇāvasara evāha |
ata evāha - avyapadeśyamitīti | (nyāyavārttikatātparyaṭīkā 1.1.4 per Gretil), reflects the position śālikānāthaḥ states, śabdasañjalpanānuviddhasya pratyakṣasya śābdatvāśaṅkā śābdaparīkṣāparvaṇi nirākartumucitā (pramāṇapārāyaṇam per Gretil). Both śālikānāthaḥ and vācaspatiḥ say that the argument pakṣilasvāmī presents here anticipates an argument that properly belongs in the (śābda)parīkṣāparva. uddyotarakaraḥ marks the beginning of śabdaparīkṣā when he says athāvasaraprāptaḥ śabdaḥ parīkṣyate (beginning of comment to nyāyasūtram 2.1.49, page 245 line 16 in Anantalal Thakur's 1997 edition).

While vācaspatiḥ certainly may have known this view from śālikanātha’s work, and it is possible that śālikanāthaḥ first articulated it, it is more likely that a lost nyāyaḥ commentary is the source of this view.

Elliot M. Stern
552 South 48th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19143-2029
United States of America