[INDOLOGY] Soo che? Saru che... Gujarati

Balogh Dániel danbalogh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:13:53 UTC 2014

Dear All,
thanks one more time for your comments. I consider the problem solved;
the only reason I'm writing yet again is to reply to Adheesh Sathaye's
great thoughts on the issue. What you say is very close to what I've
been thinking, though I haven't formulated my thoughts so logically.
This goes for your points 1 to 3; I don't agree with part of your point
4. We have a long tradition in Hungary to transliterate foreign words,
if they come from a language that uses a non-Latin script, into the
closest possible Hungarian phonetic approximation. (I.e. any Latin
script is rendered as in the original language, but words from Greek,
Russian etc. - and Indic languages - get transcribed (in works meant for
a lay audience, not in academic writing). This is easy on the reader,
because Hungarian spelling is almost 100% phonetic anyway, one phoneme
corresponds to one letter and vice versa, with very few exceptions.) So
while Rushdie's English translation will - naturally - be rendered into
rhyming Hungarian (actually, no future tense, this has already been done
by the first translator of the book), the Gujju-Marathi-whatever part
will need to be transcribed according to Hungarian pronunciation.
All the best,
Daniel

---
A levél vírus, és rosszindulatú kód mentes, mert az avast! Antivirus védelme ellenőrizte azt.