[INDOLOGY] Soo che? Saru che... Gujarati

Adheesh Sathaye adheesh1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 17:17:10 UTC 2014

Dear Daniel,

An interesting question, and I am sure some of our Gujarati-speaking colleagues can provide you an accurate Gujarati original text. However, it might be worthwhile to consider the theoretical principles involved in the exercise of translation here.

1. Rushdie has published his novel in English, not Gujarati, and has provided an Anglicised text that approximates his impressions of how *Marathi* speakers were pronouncing this anti-Gujarati slur while marching against Gujaratis in post-Independence Bombay during the language controversies in the splitting of Maharashtra and Gujarat.

2. It furthermore is designed to reflect the received impressions of his protagonist, an Anglicised, non-Gujarati and non-Maharashtrian bystander in Bombay hearing Marathi speakers butchering Gujarati (in more ways than one, perhaps, as the “daṇḍā le ke” is in fact Bambaiyaa Hindi, and not Gujarati, as far as I know).

3. There is, therefore, something intentionally “incorrect” and “ungrammatical” about the hybridized chant, the linguistic violence of which imitates the actual violence on the ground.

4. wouldn’t it then be prudent to leave Rushdie’s original as it is, in “Anglicised” form, and render his English translation—which attempts to recreate the rhyme of the chant—into rhyming Hungarian?

Just my impressions.

Best wishes,
Adheesh

----