[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Christopher Wallis bhairava11 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 18:52:47 UTC 2014

Thanks for the reference Dominik.

And, with reference to the Abhinavagupta passages we were considering, we
get a rather clear comment I didn't notice before:

*tadā bodha-svarūpīkṛtaṃ tad-rasānuviddham eva śūnyādi-dehāntam avabhātīti *
then those [levels] from the Void to the body manifest as [they really
are,] having awareness as their essence, i.e. they are transmuted by the
elixir of that [awareness].

We also get a clarification in the same passage that *viddha, anuviddha,
abhiniviṣṭa, samāviṣṭa *all denote the same thing in this context. Though
it seems as if Abhinava uses *anuvedha/anuviddha *when he wants you to know
that he definitely means "transmute".

best, CW