[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 05:58:50 UTC 2014

Dear Christopher, no, sorry, I haven't got any proper documentation for
vedha as "transmute, multiply."  I'm just reporting my sense as a reader of
some of these texts over a period of time.  Almost every translation I've
ever seen (Skt - English) says "pierce".  But it just doesn't make sense to
me.  I'm had a look around to see whether there was another dhātu vidh, but
there isn't.

Incidentally, on saṅkramaṇa, it's the word that's used in Ayurveda for
contagion.  The concept of contagion is almost completely unknown in
Ayurveda, but in those rare cases that it is mentioned, it's sam+kram.
There are good essays by Zysk and Das on this in a book *Contagion* that I
edited with Larry Conrad some years back.

Best,
Dominik