[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

jacob at fabularasa.dk jacob at fabularasa.dk
Mon Jul 21 12:19:04 UTC 2014

Dear list,

A similar case of transmutation in narrative literature is found in the
Tibetan version of the framing narrative of the Vetālapañcaviṃśati.
There the corpse possessed by the vetāla turns into gold upon the
success of the young prince Bde-spyod (Sātavāhana) in bringing it back
to the benevolent ascetic Klu-sgrub (Nāgārjuna). Each time a limb is cut
from the golden corpse, it grows back out again, thus making it an
inexhaustible source of wealth destined to be used for spreading
Buddhist doctrine and helping secure the prosperity of Bde-spyod's
kingdom when he himself becomes king.

The same theme is rehearsed in at least one manuscript of the Indian
version of the Vetālapañcaviṃśati attributed to Śivadāsa (Poleman no.
2317; ms. c in Heinrich Uhle's 1881 critical edition). There, however,
the corpse only turns into gold after king Vikramāditya has slain the
now malevolent ascetic (variously described as a yogin, a digambara, and
a kṣapaṇaka) who sent him out to fetch it for his own
magical-ritualistic purposes. The king then states that the limbs of the
golden corpse shall grow back out again when cut, and that the gold
shall be used to pay off the debts of the earth.

Both cases, one seemingly derived from the other, present us with
examples of the transmutation of a corpse into gold; and, furthermore,
in both cases the transmutation seems to serve the dual purpose of
providing material wealth (securing the prosperity of the kingdom,
paying off the debts of the earth) and providing a metaphor for
spiritual purification (helping spread Buddhist doctrine, paying off the
debts of the earth).

Best,
Jacob

Jacob Schmidt-Madsen